We all experience pain in our lives. It usually passes, but when it becomes lasting or chronic pain, it can affect our lives in many other ways. Studies show that chronic pain can make us depressed, irritable and unable to concentrate or focus on a task.
When we feel chronic pain, it spills over into other areas of our life as well. Pain can make us sleep poorly and feel stressed. Our relationships suffer and we can’t perform at work as well as we should. In some cases, we can turn to medications to manage pain, but this can lead to a dependence on medication and possibly addiction.
Cognitive Approaches to Pain
If you experience chronic pain, you don’t have to let the pain control your life. Psychologists recommend non-invasive procedures fort pain management. Some things you can do include:
- Learn about the cause of your pain to help reduce your feeling of helplessness and reduce the fear surrounding the pain.
- Meditation can help you relax and reduce the muscle tension that causes even greater pain.
- Work on improving your sleep patterns to reduce the feeling of exhaustion.
- Find work and hobbies you enjoy to help you focus on a task rather than the pain.
- Practice mindfulness to engage in the present moment and stop fighting the pain.
How a Chiropractor Can Help You Manage Pain
We often think of chiropractors as “back doctors,” but their training extends beyond the treatment of back and neck pain. Chiropractors can help you in a number of other ways, too. For example:
- Arthritis is an inflammatory condition. Chiropractors can help you improve your mobility and flexibility; help you increase strength and muscle tone; and help correct your diet to decrease inflammation.
- Fibromyalgia affects 1 in 20 Australians today. A chiropractor can help those who suffer from this debilitating disease through spinal manipulation and soft tissue work.
Your spinal cord is your central nervous system’s “highway” to your body. When a chiropractor manipulates your spine, it can boost your nervous system’s ability to function and send positive signals to the brain, helping reduce the depression that so often accompanies pain.
We now have three chiropractors at Petrozzi Wellness Centre. Each one has specialised knowledge that can help you with pain management. Call us on 9518 0096 to arrange a complementary chat with one of our chiropractors.
#backpain #acutepain #chronicpain #Leichhardtchiro