Elite athletes know the value of massage for sports injuries, but it’s not just elite athletes who suffer from sports injuries. If you are active and enjoy sports, massage can help you in a variety of ways.
What is Sports Massage?
Massage therapists use a variety of techniques. Some of the more popular techniques include:
- Swedish massage
- Deep tissue massage
- Trigger point therapy
Many other techniques exist as well and all of them can have therapeutic benefits.
Sports massage began as an outgrowth of Swedish massage. Over time a number of techniques were perfected for dealing with sports injuries. Sports massage focuses on muscle groups that are subject to excessive use. Techniques will vary, but the purpose of sports massage is similar for all sports related injuries.
How Sports Massage for Injuries Works
Sports massage does more than relieve pain. The benefits include:
- Increased mobility and flexibility. This can help prevent injuries
- Reduction of recovery time. When muscles are overworked, they can be subject to injury. Sports massage speeds recovery by increasing blood flow to muscles.
- Sports massage helps in the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to muscles.
- Lactic and uric acid are by-products of exercise. Massage helps eliminate lactic and uric acid by increasing blood flow and lymph fluids.
- Increasing blood flow and lymph fluids to the muscles helps reduce pain in the muscles.
- Sports massage has psychological benefits as well as physical benefits. It is relaxing and relaxation can help athletes focus their minds on their sports instead of feeling stressed.
Elite athletes get regular massage therapy, whether they are injured or not. If you enjoy an active lifestyle and enjoy sports, regular massages by a qualified massage therapist may help prevent injury and improve your performance.
Leichhardt Sports Massage Therapist
For a complimentary 10-15 minute telephone conversation with Stuart Ainis, our resident massage therapist, call us on 02 9518 0096 and ask for our On-Call complimentary telephone call service.